Chapel of Saints Cyril and Methodius Radhošť
Watch the video
Chapel of Saints Cyril and Methodius
What Říp is in Bohemia, Radhošt’ is in Moravia. The foundation stone for the National Theatre was broken off from here, and according to tradition, this is where the chief priests stood to erect a cross on the site of pagan sacrifices. The Cyril and Methodius Chapel at the top of the mountain is the fruit of awakened national consciousness and since its foundation in 1898 it has remained the highest church in the Czech lands.
The brick, shingled chapel of Saints Cyril and Methodius adorns the 1129 m high Radhošt’ mountain. Together with the Pustevny Mountains and the statue of the pagan god Radegast, it forms a trio of monuments visited not only by people from Bohemia but also from abroad. The foundation stone was consecrated in 1896 and two years later, on 11 September 1898, the finished work was consecrated by the Archbishop of Olomouc, Theodor Kohn. The chapel is built in the style of Byzantine buildings, which was the intention of the architect Skibinsky, who designed it to symbolize the Byzantine origin of the two saints. The original stone building is clad with shingles and with the later added bell tower is a beautiful decoration of the top of Radhoště.
What can you visit here?
It was filmed about the Radhošť
Listen to the audio report
THE PILGRIMAGE PLACES - Radhošt'
Watch the video
Magical Mountains - Radhošt'
Watch the video
Information from history
History of the pilgrimage site
In 1862, on the occasion of the approaching millennium of the arrival of the Thessalonian brothers to Moravia, the town halls of Rožnov and Frenštát organised a great national festival on the top of Radhoště, which was attended by around 15,000 pilgrims. A collection was announced for the erection of statues of Cyril and Methodius. Its proceeds were later supplemented by other collections, which were eventually decided to be used for the construction of the chapel.
Where to get tourist information?
Na Velehradě jsou dvě informační centra, kde mohou turisté a návštěvníci získat informace o prohlídkách, akcích, výstavách a dalších aktivitách, které v obci dějí.
How to get to chapel?
By bus: to Pustevny from the bus station in Rožnov pod Radhoštěm or stop Prostřední Bečva – hotel Zavadilka. By car. From the direction of Bílá, take the road No. 56, then towards Rožnov pod Radhoštěm take the road No. E442, in the village of Prostřední Bečva turn right to Pustevny. The road ends at a parking lot, then no entry. Access to the chapel is possible only after consultation with the forestry administration. On foot: from Pusteven or Pindula along the blue tourist trail, from Rožnov p. Radhoštěm along the red tourist trail.
During the holidays from July to September, the chapel is open daily from 9.00 a.m. to 2.00 p.m. In very bad weather the chapel is closed. In other months the chapel is open randomly, depending on the weather. If you are interested in visiting the chapel with a larger group, it is better to arrange in advance at the Municipal Office of Trojanovice (556 835 022). The chapel is also used for services.