- Bosnia and Herzegovina
- Czech Republic
- North Macedonia
Archaeological museum Veliki Preslav
The court complex in Preslav is assumed to be much more impressive than the one in Pliska. It has been built for 28 years.18 Around Preslav four monasteries were identified in the fortified Inner City, and six more on the outside. These complexes are dated to the end of the 9th and the beginning of the 10th century. They were part of the famous Preslav Literary School.
In the local forests, on the elevated hill, there was a fortified settlement, which was once protected on one side by the Olše River and on the other side by a moat and steep slopes. The fortified seat was first built here in the late Bronze Age and older Iron Age. A few hundred years later, it was replaced at the same place by a fenced early medieval Slavic fortified settlement, the approximate appearance of which is being reconstructed by today's Archeopark.
Archeopark Martinský vrch, Nitra
Martinský vrch was inhabited as early as the Late Stone Age. At the end of the 8th and in the 9th century, a huge fortified settlement with a dense settlement lay on the terrace of the Nitra River. The area also included the Romanesque Church of St. Martin from the 11th century. Its origins date back to the pre-Romanesque, perhaps already Great Moravian period. It had a square apse, probably also a tower.
Archaeological Open-Air Museum Modrá
Archaeological Open Air Museum Modrá - Great Moravian settlement in Central Moravia is located near Uherské Hradiště on the road to the Old Town of Velehrad. The open-air museum lives by everyday life, educational performances, programs, experimental smelting of metals, production of ceramics, agricultural production and constantly carried out archaeological research.
Monastery and Church of the Our Seven Sorrows Lady, Šaštín-Stráže
The Minor Basilica of the Virgin Mary of the Seven Sorrows in Šaštín-Strážy is one of the most important churches in Slovakia. Construction began in 1736. The basilica is visited by tens of thousands of pilgrims every year, mainly for the Feast of the Sending of the Holy Spirit (Turice) and the Feast of the Virgin Mary of the Seven Sorrows (September 15).
St. Nicolas´ Basilica, Trnava
The silhouette of Trnava consists of the towers of many churches, for which the city is nicknamed… Little Rome. The beauty of sacral gems from Gothic to Baroque is a testament to the glory of the almost three hundred years of the Archbishops of Esztergom. A significant monument is the Basilica of St. Mikuláš, whom the people of Trnava do not say otherwise than the Rough Church. It has become an important place of pilgrimage.
Benedictine Monastery Rajhrad
The monastery in Rajhrad near Brno is one of the oldest and most famous monasteries in Moravia. The monastery has long served as a center of culture and education. Today you can visit the abbey church of St. Peter and Paul and the Monument of Literature in Moravia with a historical library. The permanent exposition of the memorial presents Moravian literature during the last ten centuries.
Benedictine Monastery, Hronský Beňadik
The village lies at a strategic crossroads between Pohronie and Ponitrie. The dominant feature of the village is the monastery complex with the church of St. Benedict situated on a rocky ridge. It is one of the most beautiful preserved monastery complexes in Slovakia. The monastery and the church were built in the 11th century, on the site of an early medieval settlement.
Hillfort is mentioned in writing in 907 in connection with the battle of Bratislava, which is also a milestone in the demise of Great Moravia. Construction activity continued later. The castle palace was built as a future imperial residence in the first half of the 15th century. In the 16th century, the Castle became the seat of the Hungarian kings. Today, the castle is the seat of the Slovak National Museum.
Bargala was a Byzantine fortified town constructed between the 4th and 6th century, a period spanning Late Antiquity and Early Byzantium. Today it is an archaeological site and a visitor attraction in the Karbinci Municipality, North Macedonia. Archaeological excavations have uncovered a basilica, trade quarters, a water tank, a bath, and a fortification system with an impressive main gate and infrastructure.
Bucovina, Sucevița Monastery
The church of the Sucevița is a Eastern Orthodox monastery and nunnery. It is one of the eight depicted churches, accepted by the UNESCO World Heritage List from 1993 to 2010. These churches with external mural paintings of northern Moldavia, built from the late 15th century to the late 16th century, are masterpieces inspired by Byzantine art. They are authentic and particularly well-preserved.
Budapest – Hungarian National Museum
The Hungarian National Museum collects, preserves, and presents the historical relics of the Carpathian Basin and Hungary since 1802. The museum houses a great number of collections. One of them is the famous Zalavár archaeology collection. The finds date from the 9th century to the 17th century and were recovered from settlements or cemeteries since 1951.
Chernivtsi, The Residence of Bukovinian and Dalmatian Metropolitans / The University of Chernivtsi
The characteristics of Chernivtsi are its architectural ensemble. Since 2011 the cultural heritage site is part of the UNESCO World Heritage List. The Residence of Bukovinian and Dalmatian Metropolitans represents a masterful synergy of architectural styles built by Czech architect Josef Hlavka from 1864 to 1882.
Cetine – National Library of Montenegro “Đurđe Crnojević”
Crnojević - the last ruler of the independent principality of Zeta (Montenegro), founded the first printing house for Cyrillic books on the Balkans. It started working in Obod and then in the monastery of Cetine. At the beginning of 1494, the first book, the so-called "Oktoich for the first tone" was published. Another peak in Montenegrian early printing marks the printing activity of Bozhidar Vukovic.
Croatian Academy of Sciences and Arts, Zagreb
The Academy is a national research institution for promoting and organizing scientific research. Moreover, the institute encourages the application of the findings of this research, develops artistic and cultural activities, and is concerned with Croatian cultural heritage and its affirmation throughout the world.
St. Martin´s Cathedral, Bratislava
This cathedral is the main church of the Bratislava Archdiocese. At the beginning of the birth of this impressive architectural work, the papal consent was given to the relocation of the Prepost church from the castle to the castle grounds. The request of the Hungarian king Imrich was approved by Pope Innocent III. in 1221. Reconstruction of the former parish church began in the 14th century. and imprinted a portrait of a new Gothic church…
Emauzy, the abbey church of the Virgin Mary, St. Jerome and Slavic patrons
The monastery was founded on November 21st, 1347, by King and later Emperor Charles IV. Also, to the Virgin Mary, he chose St. Adalbert and Procopius, SS Cyril and Methodius, and Jerome (who was then thought to be the author of the Slavic script). He invited Croatian monks to the monastery, who served the Roman liturgy in Slavonic and used the Glagolitic script.
Saints Cyril and Methodius Parish Church at Theumermarkt, Vienna
The Roman- Catholic Parish Church was consecrated in 1995. Its Mission statement explains the patronage of Cyril and Methodius because of the church location on Brünnerstrasse, was the former trade route to Moravia. Special attention to young people – there are multiple events for them, such as Prayer Circle “Loretto of SS Cyril and Methodius” (Loretto Gemeinschaft Cyril and Methodius) and an Youth Fair every month.
Parish of Saints Cyril and Methodius in Thessaloniki
In the year 2000, on the initiative of Dionysios, at that time Metropolitan of Neapolis and Stavroupolis, a parish, named Saints Cyril and Methodius, was established in Nea Politeia, a district in Evosmos, a suburb in west Thessaloniki. Its existence began in the sixth Elementary School of Evosmos, also called the School of Cyril and Methodius.
Haus Wittgenstein with the Monument of Saints Cyril and Methodius
The Monument of SS Cyril and Methodius was placed in the Witgenstein’s garden after the House became Bulgarian Culture Institute of Vienna in 1976 to become a centre for the celebration on the 24th of May – the Feast of Cyril and Methodius and the Bulgarian Culture. Unlike the building, the monument of the Holy Brothers is not popularized, except as an emblem of the days of Bulgarian culture.
Branč Castle, Podbranč
Hrad Branč (rozloha cca 7.500 m²) je situovaný na mierne vyvýšenom kopci (480 m.n.m.) v Myjavskej Pahorkatine nad dnešnou osadou Podzámok. Jeho predchodcom bolo hradisko situované juhovýchodne od dnešného hradu (osídlené od stredného eneolitu až do včasného stredoveku). Hrad dal postaviť magister Aba z Hlohovca…
Devín Castle, Bratislava
At the confluence of the Danube and Morava rivers, Devín Castle is located on a cliff. The castle ridge lies at the crossroads of the Danube and Amber roads, as well as important fords across the Danube and Moravia. Due to its location, the locality on a rocky hill has been very often inhabited since the Late Stone Age…
The village of Bíňa lies on the right bank of the river Hron. Hradisko is located on an elevated terrace dominating the surroundings, whose natural location was used in the construction of the fortifications. The fortification consists of three ramparts surrounding the area with an area of 107 ha, which was on the eastern side, towards Hron, protected by a steep slope…
The Slavic hillfort settlement of Bojná - Valy was settled in the 8th - 9th century and fulfilled an important defensive, craft-trade and missionary function. The most important finds include gilded plaques and a bell, which are evidence of the Christianization of our population before the arrival of St. Cyril and Methodius…
North of Piešťany near the village Ducové there is a limestone-dolomitic promontory. It is a polycultural locality that has been inhabited since prehistoric times. However, it reached its greatest significance in the early Middle Ages, when the Great Moravian court was located here. In 1990, the site was declared a National Cultural Monument…
The location is located northeast of the village near a small grove (Vlčkovský hájik). It has a horseshoe-shaped to oval shape, and was located on a slight ridge on the left bank of the river Dudváh. It belongs to the lowland fortifications and has an area of about 7.2 ha. It was fortified on all sides by a system of ramparts and a moat…
Hillfort is located on a triangular terraced outcrop of the Svrčinovec hill, above the confluence of the Mojtínský and Strážovský brooks. These are two fortifications, while the first (Mesciská I), further north, is larger and copies the natural edge of the terrace using it as a natural protection. The second (Mesciská II) is a smaller, semi-block fortified settlement, and separated from the first by a wide depression…
Hillfort Molpír, Smolenice
Hillfort is located northwest of the village on the eastern slope of the Little Carpathians on a hill called Molpír. The site was intensively populated, especially in the Early Iron Age. From this time probably comes a massive fortification, protecting the fort from all sides…
In the early Middle Ages, a hillfort was divided into two parts, which were separated by a road leading to the Danube. Its area was fortified on three sides, on the south side there was probably no fortification, probably due to the unusually vertical bank 3-4 m high, which was a natural protection. The locality had an important economic function in the period of Great Moravia…
Hillfort Neštich, Svätý Jur
The location is located on the outskirts of the Little Carpathians. It is bordered on two sides by valleys and streams. The hillfort has an elliptical shape with an area of 8.5 ha and consists of an acropolis and two fortifications. The oldest settlement was probably located on the acropolis. On the northwest side there were two fortifications, which were also fortified by a fortification and a moat.
Ostrá skala Hillfort, Vyšný Kubín
Hillfort is located north of the village on the rocky formation Ostrá skala. It consists of an acropolis and two fortifications. It is naturally protected from several sides by a steep slope. The highest position - the acropolis - is fortified by a rampart that has a horseshoe shape. In the village there is a municipal museum on the ground floor of the Municipal Office with information about the history of the village and research at lokality...
The Pobedim locality belongs to the lowland hillforts built on a low ridge. Hillfort consists of two parts - the acropolis of hillfort, and the suburbs of hillfort. The site was fortified on all sides by a chambered wooden-earth structure together with a front stone wall. The presumed construction reached a height of about 3 m, and a palisade was placed on the crown of the rampart…
Pohansko Hillfort, Břeclav
Pohansko was an important center of power in the period of Great Moravia, which was probably ingeniously located at the crossing of the river Dyje, with more functions. One of his tasks was to control the entrance to the center of Great Moravia, it probably served as a market with local, but especially long-distance shops and commodities…
Hradisko Staré Zámky, Brno-Líšeň
Staré Zámky Hillfort is located about 1.5 km northeast of the city part of Brno-Líšeň and is currently an archaeological monument reserve. In the early Middle Ages, it was intensively populated and reached its greatest prosperity. Hradisko (total area approx. 13 ha) consists of an acropolis and two fortifications…
Starý Tekov Hillfort
In the middle of the village there is an elevated trachyte hill, surrounded by the river Hron and its tributary by the stream Perec. It is divided into three parts, while in the northeastern part there is a cemetery, and in the southwestern part there are family houses and gardens. Thanks to its natural location and the character of the terrain, a hillfort from the early Middle Ages was probably situated here…
Saint Hypolit Hillfort
St. Hippolytus´ Hillfort is located on a small rocky promontory northly of the bend of the river Dyje. Despite the natural protection, the fort was fortified by a wooden rampart, which, however, has survived to this day only in some places. Its construction dates back to the 1980s and its demise to the first half of the 10th century…
Saint Clement Hillfort
St. Clement´s Hillfort is a place of pilgrimage, a national cultural monument and an archeological site. The conveniently located and well-protected location on the old trade route that connected Moravia with Brno did not escape the attention of settlers during the Great Moravian Empire. Today, the remains of the foundation masonry are marked in and there is a modern chapel of St. Climent ...
Veľký vrch Hilffort, Divinka
On the outskirts of the village Divinka is the hill Veľký vrch, where there is a fortified settlement with an area of about 12 ha. The location represents a strategic location situated above the river Váh. The fort was inhabited and fortified, probably by bearers of the Lusatian culture. It consists of the acropolis, the top and the sub-castle. It is fortified by multiple fortifications with several gates…
On the highest peak of the Vizovice Hills (754 m above sea level) lies the highest Moravian hillfort - Klášťov. The hillfort was built here in the late Bronze Age. The function of the hillfort as an important fortified center in the Great Moravian period was also documented. The mountain probably served to ceremonial purposes…
Hrastovlje, municipality of Koper
The Church of the Holy Trinity with the Dance of the Dead frescoes by Johannes de Castua (John of Kastav) from 1490 has a pseudo-basilica three-nave design surrounded by a 16th century camp wall, which the village churches were fortified against the Turkish threat. The inside of the church is full of paint.63 On the north wall, the nave depicts the march and the homage of St. Three Kings.
Humac Museum in the Franciscan monastery
The Humac plate was primarily located in the church of Archangel Michael at the site of Grebina on Humac near Ljubuški. Probably this church was demolished in the middle of the 16th century. When the church of St. Ante and the Franciscan monastery on Humac (1867) was built, the plate was walled up into the right side of the eastern entrance. It was taken out of that wall in 1958 and housed in the monastery museum.
Inkerman – Sevastopol
It was founded in 1850 on the site of a medieval byzantine monastery. There, the relics of St. Clement were kept, before their removal to Constantinople-Moravia and Rome by Saints Cyril and Methodius. The early christians are supposed to have kept the relics in a cave, which could be visited only on the anniversary of St. Clements' death.
Chappel of SS Cyril & Methodius and folklore feast “Cirilovo”, Sunger, Mrkopalj
The Sunger village is located in the municipality of Merkopal in Gorski Kotar, in the mountainous region in Nord-west Croatia, famous with ski resorts, woods, and caves. The Chapel was built and dedicated to Cyril and Methodius in 1863 thousand years after the Moravian Mission was celebrated. Since then, the two Slavic saints are patrons not only of the village church but also of the community of Sunger.
Chapel of St. Cyril and Methodius, Radhošť
The chapel is built on top of the hill Radhošť (1129 m above sea level). The pagan god Radegast was worshiped here in the early Middle Ages. According to the tradition of St. Cyril and Methodius abolished his cult and had a wooden cross installed there. Pilgrimages to this place took place four times a year. Later, they replaced the wooden cross, which stood there in 1735, with a stone one…
The Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary Cathedral, Zagreb
The Cathedral was founded at the end of the 11th century. Its present Neo-Gothic look originates from 1880-1906. The building underwent reconstruction after a severe earthquake, and new altars were constructed. The majestic church is of great architectural and artistic value. Pope Leo's XIII encyclical Grande Munus of 1880, includes the feast of the Slavic Apostles on the general calendar of the Roman Church. In 1885 the millennium death year of St. Methodius was celebrated at the Cathedral in Zagreb due to solemnity when a Slavic liturgy was held.
Cathedral of St. Vitus, St. Wenceslas, and St. Adalbert in the Prague Castle
Metropolinan Cathedral, a prominent example of Gothic architecture; UNESCO heritage site houses plenty of masterpieces of art, dedicated to SS Cyril and Methodius stone bas reliefs - of Cyril and Methodius in the lunettes of the Cathedral Cyril and Methodius relief on wooden gates inside of the Cathedral, 20th century 2 statues – of St. Cyril by Václav Levý, 1870 and of St. Methodius by Josef Václav Myslbek, 1870 in the Chapel of St. John the Forerunner Scenes from the life of St. Methodius and St. Cyril on stained glass window by Alphonse Mucha from the thirties of the 20th century. "St. Methodius baptizes St. Ludmilla", Bronze statue by Karel Pokorny, 1933.
Cathedral of Saints Peter and Paulus in Brno
Except the Cathedral of SS Peter and Paulus in Brno (No 20 in the 2018 list) a siteof pedagogical and social value could be accepted in the CM Route: Congregation of the Sisters of St. Cyril and Methodius. The Congregation of the Sisters of St. Cyril and Methodius (SCM) is a religious institute of papal law (confirmed by decree on June 25, 1976).
Chişinău – National Archive of the Republic of Moldova
The national repository for documents realting to the political, economic, social and cultural life of Moldova date to the 15th century until the beginning of the 21st century. The most significant fonds of original documents reflecting the social, economic, cultural and administrative life of Moldova for 15th – 19th centuries are the collection of Moldovan medieval acts.
Putney Monastery, Putnea
The Romanian Orthodox Monastery of Putna was founded by the Moldavian ruler Stephen the Great after his victory over the fortress Kilia at the Danube delta and consecrated to the Virgen in 1470. Stephen himself was buried in the monastery, and his tomb is a lively pilgrimage site now.
The orthodox monastery was built in the late 12thcentury. Since 1986 it is part of the UNESCO World Heritage List. Studenica represents the high point of Serbian history. The monastery contains the remains of the first Serbian ruler and the Studenica founder, Saint Simeon, the remains of his wife Anastasia, and also the remains, shroud, and coffin of the first Serbian king, Stephen the First-Crowned (Stefan Prvovenčani).
SS Cyril and Methodius monastery, National Historical and Archaeological Reserve, Borova Gora
The construction of St. Cyril and Methodius monastery in Old Preslav is related to the 1000th anniversary of the death of St. Methodius in 885, the conversion to Christianity of the Bulgarian people nearby Veliki Preslav in 864 and later with the commemoration of 1000 years of Tsar Simeon’s reign.
The monastery of St. Clement & St.Panteleimon at Plaoshnik, Ohrid
The early Christian tradition in Lichnidos is very evident by the presence of several Christian basilicas built in the town. The central one, the cathedral, was probably the Polyconchal Basilica at Imaret, built during the second half of the 5th century.
Monastery of the Holy Mother of God in Slivnica, Prespa
Among other treasures of cultural monuments in the region of Prespa is the monastery Mother of God in the vicinity of village Slivnica. Above the west entrance from the inner side of the church there is an inscription saying that it was built and fresco-painted in the times of abbot Nikanor in 1607.
Kostel sv. Klimenta, Močenok
Baroková stavba kostola je situovaná východne od kaštieľa v priestore ohraničenom murovanou ohradou s trojicou brán. Jej jadro tvorí loď zaklenutá pruskými klenbami, rozšírená o novšie bočné lode s betónovými stropmi. Na východe sa na ňu napája svätyňa s päťbokým záverom a kupolou, k nej zo severnej i južnej strany priliehajú sakristie s valenými klenbami.
Church St. Sofia, Ohrid
The Ohrid’s cathedral of St. Sophia is one of the most important monuments in North Macedonia, housing architecture and art from the Middle Age. For a long period of time it was a synodal church of the Ohrid’s Archbishopric. It was built on the foundations of an old sacral building during the period after the big mission of St. Cyril and Methodius, in the period when Macedonian Slavs accepted Christianity in Slavic Language.
The church of St. George, Prespa
Prespa is a rural area of natural beauty with a quaintlake and important history. This region's long history is evidenced by the archaeological sites found on the island of Golem Grad, as well as by the medieval churches and monasteries scattered around Prespa. Island Ail in Prespa Lake was the first capital center of the rule of Tsar Samuel on the territory of Macedonia.
St. Michael Church, Vienna
The Church is one of the oldest churches in Vienna and one of its few remaining Romanesque buildings, build in 13th century. During the 18th century; celebration on the feast of SS Cyril and Methodius were annually celebrated in the church by the Moravian minority. Famous preachers from the whole Habsburg Empire preached for the Moravian minority at these celebrations. Now, the preaches are kept in Klosterneuburg monastery. The biggest Baroquestyle organ in Vienna and the significant Byzantine altar icon of Our Lady with Child were requisites to the celebrations.
Church of Saints Cyril and Methodius with Faculty of Theology, Sarajevo
The religious worship of St. Cyril and Methodius in Bosnia and Herzegovina is represented by the Church of St. Cyril and Methodius in Sarajevo, which existed within the theological seminary of Vrhbosna (now Faculty of Catholic Theology). In 1890 the Seminary was established in Travnik. There the seminary and lyceum were initially located and led by Jesuits.
Church of Saints Cyril and Methodius in the Karlín district of Prague
Its foundation stone was laid in 1854 in the presence of Emperor Francis Joseph I, a tribute to the support of the Habsburg monarchy by the First Congress of Panslav in Prague as a political formation that is most likely to protect the peoples of Central Europe.
Church of Saints Cyril and Methodius, Thessaloniki
The church of Saints Cyril and Methodius in their birthplace, Thessaloniki, located in the New Promenade of Thessaloniki, was inaugurated on the 27th of March, 1983. Officially opened its doors on the 12th of May, 1985, during the three-day celebration of Saints Cyril and Methodius, dedicated to the 1.100th anniversary of the death of Saint Methodius.
Church of Saint Margaret of Antioch, Kopčany
The church was built during the 9th century near the grounds of the Mikulčice hillfort, which lies only 2 km to the west. The first archaeological research was carried out here in the 1960s, later continuing in 1994-2008 together with the restoration of the church. It is a simple structure with a longitudinal nave and an irregular square apse…
Church of Saints Cyril and Methodius, Terchová
The architectural dominant of Terchová, a village famous as the birthplace of the legendary folk hero Juraj Jánošík, is the Church of St. Cyril and Methodius - the largest church dedicated to the Thessalonian brother in Slovakia. The church was built in the 1940s and, in addition to a place of prayer and meditation, now serves as a tourist attraction. In its vestibule there is a unique all-wood movable nativity scene made by local folk masters…
Church of Saint George, Kostolany pod Tribečom
The church is one of the oldest standing sacral buildings in Slovakia. It is situated at the foot of the Tribeč Mountains. The pre-Romanesque building had one nave of irregular rectangular ground plan with a square apse. During the 11th and 12th centuries, minor alterations were made to the interior of the church and at that time it was probably decorated with frescoes…
Church of the Holly Cross, Bratislava-Devín
At the entrance to this church from the 13th century, it is impossible to overlook the sculpture of St. Cyril and Methodius, which refers to the sight of this place with their mission to Great Moravia. The flood single-nave Romanesque floor plan of the church gradually expanded to the Gothic three-nave. However, the church was rebuilt several times, so the remains of Romanesque, Renaissance, Gothic, Baroque and Classicist architecture can be seen here…
Kotor – National and Cultural-Historical Region of Kotor, UNESCO World Heritage Site
Тhe Bay of Kotor is a strategic natural harbour in the Eastern Adriatic region, and was an important center of arts and commerce during the Middle Ages. The value of the region is embodied in the quality of architecture in its fortified and open cities, settlements, palaces and monastic ensembles as well as their harmonious integration to the cultivated terraced landscape on the slopes of high rocky hills.
Ljubljana – The National Museum of Slovenia
The National Museum of Slovenia was founded by the Carniolan State Parliament on the 15th October 1821, is the oldest of all Slovenian museum institutions. Its six departments collect, describe, preserve, and investigate the mobile cultural heritage of Slovenia for presenting it to the public.
Mojstrana village, Kranska gora
In the 11th century, the first church was built on this site as a small roman chapel, that got its present look in 1640. The legend says that the church was constructed on the spot wherein the year 868 the Saints Cyril and Methodius stayed overnight when they carried the relics of Pope Clement I to Rome. The romanesque chapel was turned into a baroque-style church.
Monumental column “Book-Temple”, Thessaloniki
Likewise, on the premises of the church of Saints Cyril and Methodius in Thessaloniki, a monumental column “Book-Temple”, created by the sculptor Dimitra Stavrinidou, was placed. It has the shape of an open book, whose pages form the images of Saints Cyril and Methodius.
National Historical Archaeological Reserve Pliska
Archaeological studies of the first Bulgarian Christian capital Pliska started in the last quarter of the 19th century. Today, the remains of Pliska are quite fully opened and well-studied. At the beginning of the 20th century, the church in the Little Palace, the Grand Palace, and the Grand Basilica opened. The large monastery complex of the Grand Basilica was built in the 9th century. There the disciples of Cyril and Methodius were probably welcomed by Prince Boris I.