DATABASE

Strategic localities

The court complex in Preslav is assumed to be much more impressive than the one in Pliska. According, to sources it has been built for 28 years.18 Around Preslav four monasteries were identified in the fortified Inner City, and six more on the outside. These complexes are dated to the end of the 9th and the beginning of the 10th century. They were part of the famous Preslav Literary School.

Archeopark Chotěbuz - Podobora presents a replica of an upland Slavic hillfort and is built on a place where prehistoric and subsequently early medieval fortifications were situated. The fortification system is complemented by various types of dwellings and production facilities. The content of the Archeopark is focused on educational programs for schools and the general public…

Martinský vrch was inhabited as early as the Late Stone Age. At the end of the 8th and in the 9th century, a huge fortified settlement with a dense settlement lay on the terrace of the Nitra River. The area also included the Romanesque Church of St. Martin from the 11th century. Its origins date back to the pre-Romanesque, perhaps already Great Moravian period…

Archaeological Open Air Museum Modrá - Great Moravian settlement in Central Moravia is located near Uherské Hradiště on the road to the Old Town of Velehrad. It is an important subject that clearly illuminates one of the most important stages of our national history. The open-air museum lives by everyday life, educational performances, programs, experimental smelting of metals, production of ceramics, agricultural production and constantly carried out archaeological research.

The Minor Basilica of the Virgin Mary of the Seven Sorrows in Šaštín-Strážy is one of the most important churches in Slovakia. Construction began in 1736. The basilica is visited by tens of thousands of pilgrims every year, mainly for the Feast of the Sending of the Holy Spirit (Turice) and the Feast of the Virgin Mary of the Seven Sorrows (September 15)…

The silhouette of Trnava consists of the towers of many churches, for which the city is nicknamed… Little Rome. The beauty of sacral gems from Gothic to Baroque is a testament to the glory of the almost three hundred years of the Archbishops of Esztergom. A significant monument is the Basilica of St. Mikuláš, whom the people of Trnava do not say otherwise than the Rough Church…

The Benedictine monastery in Rajhrad belongs to exceptional localities. Already after its establishment, it was an important center of Christianity and education. With its remarkable library collection, it represents an important cultural and scientific institution. The monastery has also housed a monastery museum since the 19th century.

The village lies at a strategic crossroads between Pohronie and Ponitrie. The dominant feature of the village is the monastery complex with the church of St. Benedict situated on a rocky ridge. It is one of the most beautiful preserved monastery complexes in Slovakia. The monastery and the church were built in the 11th century, on the site of an older early medieval settlement…

The Biosphere Reserve is situated in southwestern Serbia and belongs to the inner zone of the Dinaric mountain system. It covers a mountainous region and includes a mosaic of different ecosystems, such as forests, shrubs, and lakes. Since 2001 it is enlisted on the UNESCO Bisophere Reserve.

been a symbol of Bratislava for centuries. The castle hill has long been inhabited due to its strategic location. The Celts, Romans, Germans, Slavs and Hungarians took turns here. The beginnings of today's castle date back to the 13th century. From this period comes the largest, the so-called Crown tower of the castle…

A very important site connected with the early Cyril and Methodius activity can be found also in the east part of Macedonia. Having received a brilliant education, Methodius was granted a high-ranking position as archon of a Slavic principality on the Strymon River in the period between 845 and 855. This site was partly located in the Bregalnica аnd Strumica area.

The church of the Sucevița is a Eastern Orthodox monastery and nunnery. It is one of the eight depicted churches, accepted by the UNESCO World Heritage List from 1993 to 2010. These churches with external mural paintings of northern Moldavia, built from the late 15th century to the late 16th century, are masterpieces inspired by Byzantine art. They are authentic and particularly well-preserved.

The Hungarian National Museum collects, preserves, and presents the historical relics of the Carpathian Basin and Hungary since 1802. The museum houses a great number of collections. One of them is the famous Zalavár archaeology collection. The finds date from the 9th century to the 17th century and were recovered from settlements or cemeteries during regular excavations in Zalavár, since 1951.

The characteristics of Chernivtsi are its architectural ensemble. Since 2011 the cultural heritage site is part of the UNESCO World Heritage List. The Residence of Bukovinian and Dalmatian Metropolitans represents a masterful synergy of architectural styles built by Czech architect Josef Hlavka from 1864 to 1882.

Crnojević - the last ruler of the independent principality of Zeta (Montenegro), founded the first printing house for Cyrillic books on the Balkans. It started working in Obod and then in the monastery of Cetine. At the beginning of 1494, the first book, the so-called "Oktoich for the first tone" was published. Another peak in Montenegrian early printing marks the printing activity of Bozhidar Vukovic.

The Academy is a national research institution for promoting and organizing scientific research. Moreover, the institute encourages the application of the findings of this research, develops artistic and cultural activities, and is concerned with Croatian cultural heritage and its affirmation throughout the world.

This cathedral is the main church of the Bratislava Archdiocese. At the beginning of the birth of this impressive architectural work, the papal consent was given to the relocation of the Prepost church from the castle to the castle grounds. The request of the Hungarian king Imrich was approved by Pope Innocent III. in 1221. Reconstruction of the former parish church began in the 14th century. and imprinted a portrait of a new Gothic church…

The monastery was founded on November 21st, 1347, by King and later Emperor Charles IV. Also, to the Virgin Mary, he chose St. Adalbert and Procopius, SS Cyril and Methodius, and Jerome (who was then thought to be the author of the Slavic script). He invited Croatian monks to the monastery, who served the Roman liturgy in Slavonic and used the Glagolitic script.

The Roman- Catholic Parish Church was consecrated in 1995. Its Mission statement explains the patronage of Cyril and Methodius because of the church location on Brünnerstrasse, was the former trade route to Moravia. Special attention to young people – there are multiple events for them, such as Prayer Circle “Loretto of SS Cyril and Methodius” (Loretto Gemeinschaft Cyril and Methodius) and an Youth Fair every month. The church is very transparent to the public, so it applies social media and runs a website as well as a physical and digital parish journal (Pfarrzeitung).

In the year 2000, on the initiative of Dionysios, at that time Metropolitan of Neapolis and Stavroupolis, a parish, named Saints Cyril and Methodius, was established in Nea Politeia, a district in Evosmos, a suburb in west Thessaloniki. Its existence began in the sixth Elementary School of Evosmos, also called the School of Cyril and Methodius.

The Monument of SS Cyril and Methodius was placed in the Witgenstein’s garden after the House became Bulgarian Culture Institute of Vienna in 1976 to become a centre for the celebration on the 24th of May – the Feast of Cyril and Methodius and the Bulgarian Culture7 . Unlike the building, the monument of the Holy Brothers is not popularized, except as an emblem of the days of Bulgarian culture.

Hrad Branč (rozloha cca 7.500 m²) je situovaný na mierne vyvýšenom kopci (480 m.n.m.) v Myjavskej Pahorkatine nad dnešnou osadou Podzámok. Jeho predchodcom bolo hradisko situované juhovýchodne od dnešného hradu (osídlené od stredného eneolitu až do včasného stredoveku). Hrad dal postaviť magister Aba z Hlohovca…

At the confluence of the Danube and Morava rivers, Devín Castle is located on a cliff. The castle ridge lies at the crossroads of the Danube and Amber roads, as well as important fords across the Danube and Moravia. Due to its location, the locality on a rocky hill has been very often inhabited since the Late Stone Age…

The village of Bíňa lies on the right bank of the river Hron. Hradisko is located on an elevated terrace dominating the surroundings, whose natural location was used in the construction of the fortifications. The fortification consists of three ramparts surrounding the area with an area of 107 ha, which was on the eastern side, towards Hron, protected by a steep slope…

The Slavic hillfort settlement of Bojná - Valy was settled in the 8th - 9th century and fulfilled an important defensive, craft-trade and missionary function. The most important finds include gilded plaques and a bell, which are evidence of the Christianization of our population before the arrival of St. Cyril and Methodius…

Hradisko is located on a promontory, the steep and rocky slopes of which, sloping into the Hron Valley, provided natural protection from the east and partly from the south.

North of Piešťany near the village Ducové there is a limestone-dolomitic promontory. It is a polycultural locality that has been inhabited since prehistoric times. However, it reached its greatest significance in the early Middle Ages, when the Great Moravian court was located here. In 1990, the site was declared a National Cultural Monument…

The location is located northeast of the village near a small grove (Vlčkovský hájik). It has a horseshoe-shaped to oval shape, and was located on a slight ridge on the left bank of the river Dudváh. It belongs to the lowland fortifications and has an area of about 7.2 ha. It was fortified on all sides by a system of ramparts and a moat…

Hillfort is located on a triangular terraced outcrop of the Svrčinovec hill, above the confluence of the Mojtínský and Strážovský brooks. These are two fortifications, while the first (Mesciská I), further north, is larger and copies the natural edge of the terrace using it as a natural protection. The second (Mesciská II) is a smaller, semi-block fortified settlement, and separated from the first by a wide depression…

Hillfort is located northwest of the village on the eastern slope of the Little Carpathians on a hill called Molpír. The site was intensively populated, especially in the Early Iron Age. From this time probably comes a massive fortification, protecting the fort from all sides…

In the early Middle Ages, a hillfort was divided into two parts, which were separated by a road leading to the Danube. Its area was fortified on three sides, on the south side there was probably no fortification, probably due to the unusually vertical bank 3-4 m high, which was a natural protection. The locality had an important economic function in the period of Great Moravia…

The location is located on the outskirts of the Little Carpathians. It is bordered on two sides by valleys and streams. The hillfort has an elliptical shape with an area of 8.5 ha and consists of an acropolis and two fortifications. The oldest settlement was probably located on the acropolis. On the northwest side there were two fortifications, which were also fortified by a fortification and a moat.

Hillfort is located north of the village on the rocky formation Ostrá skala. It consists of an acropolis and two fortifications. It is naturally protected from several sides by a steep slope. The highest position - the acropolis - is fortified by a rampart that has a horseshoe shape. In the village there is a municipal museum on the ground floor of the Municipal Office with information about the history of the village and research at lokality...

The Pobedim locality belongs to the lowland hillforts built on a low ridge. Hillfort consists of two parts - the acropolis of hillfort, and the suburbs of hillfort. The site was fortified on all sides by a chambered wooden-earth structure together with a front stone wall. The presumed construction reached a height of about 3 m, and a palisade was placed on the crown of the rampart…

Pohansko was an important center of power in the period of Great Moravia, which was probably ingeniously located at the crossing of the river Dyje, with more functions. One of his tasks was to control the entrance to the center of Great Moravia, it probably served as a market with local, but especially long-distance shops and commodities…

Staré Zámky Hillfort is located about 1.5 km northeast of the city part of Brno-Líšeň and is currently an archaeological monument reserve. In the early Middle Ages, it was intensively populated and reached its greatest prosperity. Hradisko (total area approx. 13 ha) consists of an acropolis and two fortifications…

In the middle of the village there is an elevated trachyte hill, surrounded by the river Hron and its tributary by the stream Perec. It is divided into three parts, while in the northeastern part there is a cemetery, and in the southwestern part there are family houses and gardens. Thanks to its natural location and the character of the terrain, a hillfort from the early Middle Ages was probably situated here…

St. Hippolytus´ Hillfort is located on a small rocky promontory northly of the bend of the river Dyje. Despite the natural protection, the fort was fortified by a wooden rampart, which, however, has survived to this day only in some places. Its construction dates back to the 1980s and its demise to the first half of the 10th century…

St. Clement´s Hillfort is a place of pilgrimage, a national cultural monument and an archeological site. The conveniently located and well-protected location on the old trade route that connected Moravia with Brno did not escape the attention of settlers during the Great Moravian Empire. Today, the remains of the foundation masonry are marked in and there is a modern chapel of St. Climent ...

On the outskirts of the village Divinka is the hill Veľký vrch, where there is a fortified settlement with an area of about 12 ha. The location represents a strategic location situated above the river Váh. The fort was inhabited and fortified, probably by bearers of the Lusatian culture. It consists of the acropolis, the top and the sub-castle. It is fortified by multiple fortifications with several gates…

On the highest peak of the Vizovice Hills (754 m above sea level) lies the highest Moravian hillfort - Klášťov. The hillfort was built here in the late Bronze Age. The function of the hillfort as an important fortified center in the Great Moravian period was also documented. The mountain probably served to ceremonial purposes…

The Church of the Holy Trinity with the Dance of the Dead frescoes by Johannes de Castua (John of Kastav) from 1490 has a pseudo-basilica three-nave design surrounded by a 16th century camp wall, which the village churches were fortified against the Turkish threat. The inside of the church is full of paint.63 On the north wall, the nave depicts the march and the homage of St. Three Kings.

The Humac plate was primarily located in the church of Archangel Michael at the site of Grebina on Humac near Ljubuški. Probably this church was demolished in the middle of the 16th century. When the church of St. Ante and the Franciscan monastery on Humac (1867) was built, the plate was walled up into the right side of the eastern entrance. It was taken out of that wall in 1958 and housed in the monastery museum.

It was founded in 1850 on the site of a medieval byzantine monastery. There, the relics of St. Clement were kept, before their removal to Constantinople-Moravia and Rome by Saints Cyril and Methodius. The early christians are supposed to have kept the relics in a cave, which could be visited only on the anniversary of St. Clements' death.

Multiethnic and multicultural in its foundation and development, Ivano-Frankivsk bears also multiconfessional characteristics. As an element of the Greek – Catholic Church symbolic also here the Cyrillo-Methodian tradition has emerget.

The Sunger village is located in the municipality of Merkopal in Gorski Kotar, in the mountainous region in Nord-west Croatia, famous with ski resorts, woods, and caves. The Chapel was built and dedicated to Cyril and Methodius in 1863 thousand years after the Moravian Mission was celebrated. Since then, the two Slavic saints are patrons not only of the village church but also of the community of Sunger.

The chapel is built on top of the hill Radhošť (1129 m above sea level). The pagan god Radegast was worshiped here in the early Middle Ages. According to the tradition of St. Cyril and Methodius abolished his cult and had a wooden cross installed there. Pilgrimages to this place took place four times a year. Later, they replaced the wooden cross, which stood there in 1735, with a stone one…

The Cathedral was founded at the end of the 11th century. Its present Neo-Gothic look originates from 1880-1906. The building underwent reconstruction after a severe earthquake, and new altars were constructed. The majestic church is of great architectural and artistic value. Pope Leo's XIII encyclical Grande Munus of 1880, includes the feast of the Slavic Apostles on the general calendar of the Roman Church. In 1885 the millennium death year of St. Methodius was celebrated at the Cathedral in Zagreb due to solemnity when a Slavic liturgy was held.

St. Wenceslas Cathedral owns: a golden reliquary of St. Cyril and a reliquary and a calix with the names of SS Cyril and Methodius – the artifacts could be the point for an itinerary on the theme relicts of SS Cyril and Methodius.

Metropolinan Cathedral, a prominent example of Gothic architecture; UNESCO heritage site houses plenty of masterpieces of art, dedicated to SS Cyril and Methodius stone bas reliefs - of Cyril and Methodius in the lunettes of the Cathedral Cyril and Methodius relief on wooden gates inside of the Cathedral, 20th century 2 statues – of St. Cyril by Václav Levý, 1870 and of St. Methodius by Josef Václav Myslbek, 1870 in the Chapel of St. John the Forerunner Scenes from the life of St. Methodius and St. Cyril on stained glass window by Alphonse Mucha from the thirties of the 20th century. "St. Methodius baptizes St. Ludmilla", Bronze statue by Karel Pokorny, 1933.

Except the Cathedral of SS Peter and Paulus in Brno (No 20 in the 2018 list) a siteof pedagogical and social value could be accepted in the CM Route: Congregation of the Sisters of St. Cyril and Methodius. The Congregation of the Sisters of St. Cyril and Methodius (SCM) is a religious institute of papal law (confirmed by decree on June 25, 1976).

The national repository for documents realting to the political, economic, social and cultural life of Moldova date to the 15th century until the beginning of the 21st century. The most significant fonds of original documents reflecting the social, economic, cultural and administrative life of Moldova for 15th – 19th centuries are the collection of Moldovan medieval acts.

The Romanian Orthodox Monastery of Putna was founded by the Moldavian ruler Stephen the Great after his victory over the fortress Kilia at the Danube delta and consecrated to the Virgen in 1470. Stephen himself was buried in the monastery, and his tomb is a lively pilgrimage site now.

The orthodox monastery was built in the late 12thcentury. Since 1986 it is part of the UNESCO World Heritage List. Studenica represents the high point of Serbian history. The monastery contains the remains of the first Serbian ruler and the Studenica founder, Saint Simeon, the remains of his wife Anastasia, and also the remains, shroud, and coffin of the first Serbian king, Stephen the First-Crowned (Stefan Prvovenčani).

The construction of St. Cyril and Methodius monastery in Old Preslav is related to the 1000th anniversary of the death of St. Methodius in 885, the conversion to Christianity of the Bulgarian people nearby Veliki Preslav in 864 and later with the commemoration of 1000 years of Tsar Simeon’s reign.

The early Christian tradition in Lichnidos is very evident by the presence of several Christian basilicas built in the town. The central one, the cathedral, was probably the Polyconchal Basilica at Imaret, built during the second half of the 5th century.

Among other treasures of cultural monuments in the region of Prespa is the monastery Mother of God in the vicinity of village Slivnica. Above the west entrance from the inner side of the church there is an inscription saying that it was built and fresco-painted in the times of abbot Nikanor in 1607.

The Ohrid’s cathedral of St. Sophia is one of the most important monuments in North Macedonia, housing architecture and art from the Middle Age. For a long period of time it was a synodal church of the Ohrid’s Archbishopric. It was built on the foundations of an old sacral building during the period after the big mission of St. Cyril and Methodius, in the period when Macedonian Slavs accepted Christianity in Slavic Language.

Prespa is a rural area of natural beauty with a quaintlake and important history. This region's long history is evidenced by the archaeological sites found on the island of Golem Grad, as well as by the medieval churches and monasteries scattered around Prespa. Island Ail in Prespa Lake was the first capital center of the rule of Tsar Samuel on the territory of Macedonia.

The Church is one of the oldest churches in Vienna and one of its few remaining Romanesque buildings, build in 13th century. During the 18th century; celebration on the feast of SS Cyril and Methodius were annually celebrated in the church by the Moravian minority. Famous preachers from the whole Habsburg Empire preached for the Moravian minority at these celebrations. Now, the preaches are kept in Klosterneuburg monastery. The biggest Baroquestyle organ in Vienna and the significant Byzantine altar icon of Our Lady with Child were requisites to the celebrations.

The religious worship of St. Cyril and Methodius in Bosnia and Herzegovina is represented by the Church of St. Cyril and Methodius in Sarajevo, which existed within the theological seminary of Vrhbosna (now Faculty of Catholic Theology). In 1890 the Seminary was established in Travnik. There the seminary and lyceum were initially located and led by Jesuits.

Its foundation stone was laid in 1854 in the presence of Emperor Francis Joseph I, a tribute to the support of the Habsburg monarchy by the First Congress of Panslav in Prague as a political formation that is most likely to protect the peoples of Central Europe.

The church of Saints Cyril and Methodius in their birthplace, Thessaloniki, located in the New Promenade of Thessaloniki, was inaugurated on the 27th of March, 1983. Officially opened its doors on the 12th of May, 1985, during the three-day celebration of Saints Cyril and Methodius, dedicated to the 1.100th anniversary of the death of Saint Methodius.

The church was built during the 9th century near the grounds of the Mikulčice hillfort, which lies only 2 km to the west. The first archaeological research was carried out here in the 1960s, later continuing in 1994-2008 together with the restoration of the church. It is a simple structure with a longitudinal nave and an irregular square apse…

The architectural dominant of Terchová, a village famous as the birthplace of the legendary folk hero Juraj Jánošík, is the Church of St. Cyril and Methodius - the largest church dedicated to the Thessalonian brother in Slovakia. The church was built in the 1940s and, in addition to a place of prayer and meditation, now serves as a tourist attraction. In its vestibule there is a unique all-wood movable nativity scene made by local folk masters…

The church is one of the oldest standing sacral buildings in Slovakia. It is situated at the foot of the Tribeč Mountains. The pre-Romanesque building had one nave of irregular rectangular ground plan with a square apse. During the 11th and 12th centuries, minor alterations were made to the interior of the church and at that time it was probably decorated with frescoes…

At the entrance to this church from the 13th century, it is impossible to overlook the sculpture of St. Cyril and Methodius, which refers to the sight of this place with their mission to Great Moravia. The flood single-nave Romanesque floor plan of the church gradually expanded to the Gothic three-nave. However, the church was rebuilt several times, so the remains of Romanesque, Renaissance, Gothic, Baroque and Classicist architecture can be seen here…

Тhe Bay of Kotor is a strategic natural harbour in the Eastern Adriatic region, and was an important center of arts and commerce during the Middle Ages. The value of the region is embodied in the quality of architecture in its fortified and open cities, settlements, palaces and monastic ensembles as well as their harmonious integration to the cultivated terraced landscape on the slopes of high rocky hills.

The National Museum of Slovenia was founded by the Carniolan State Parliament on the 15th October 1821, is the oldest of all Slovenian museum institutions. Its six departments collect, describe, preserve, and investigate the mobile cultural heritage of Slovenia for presenting it to the public.

In the 11th century, the first church was built on this site as a small roman chapel, that got its present look in 1640. The legend says that the church was constructed on the spot wherein the year 868 the Saints Cyril and Methodius stayed overnight when they carried the relics of Pope Clement I to Rome. The romanesque chapel was turned into a baroque-style church.

Likewise, on the premises of the church of Saints Cyril and Methodius in Thessaloniki, a monumental column “Book-Temple”, created by the sculptor Dimitra Stavrinidou, was placed. It has the shape of an open book, whose pages form the images of Saints Cyril and Methodius.

Archaeological studies of the first Bulgarian Christian capital Pliska started in the last quarter of the 19th century. Today, the remains of Pliska are quite fully opened and well-studied. At the beginning of the 20th century, the church in the Little Palace, the Grand Palace, and the Grand Basilica opened. The large monastery complex of the Grand Basilica was built in the 9th century. There the disciples of Cyril and Methodius were probably welcomed by Prince Boris I.

The National Museum is the largest in the Czech Republic. As a central state museum gathering scientific, educational and methodological functions, it seeks to strengthen the sense of national identity and awareness that it is part of the whole framework of the European and world community and culture.

The early medieval agglomeration of Nitra had a similar extent as Nitra in the second half of the 20th century. Its dominant feature since the beginning of the 9th century was Nitra Castle. It was created at the turn of the 8th and 9th centuries. on a river island formed by a rocky ridge. Already in the first half of the 9th century there was a stone brick building. In the second half of the 9th century, the castle was fortified with a rampart…

Arapovski Monastery was the only one that was founded in the middle of the 19th century in the region during the Ottoman occupation. The main church “St. Nedelya” was built in 1859. More than 150 scenes are painted in the frescoes of the church. Besides the traditional evangelic scenes, here we discover unique scenes depicting the life of the monastery’s patron, St. Nedelya, as well as John the Baptist and St. Paraskeva.

Heiligenkreuz Abbey (Stift Heiligenkreuz) is a Cistercian monastery in the village of Heiligenkreuz in the southern part of the Vienna Woods. Founded in 1133, it is the oldest continuously occupied Cistercian monastery in the world. With more than 270,000 volumes, the monastery library is the largest private library in Austria. At the heart of the library is the medieval collection of 1250 manuscripts and 860 incunabula. Today, the monastery library is an institution of knowledge and a partner of various regional and even international research centres.

The path is dedicated to the Baška Tablet - the first national document in Croatian history, dated around the middle of the 11th century and written in Glagolitic script. It forms a nonlinear trail marked by stone sculptures, starting from the mountain pass of Treskavac, at the entrance to the Baška valley, and ending by the waterfront, in Baška’s harbour Stara Riva (Old Pier).

In the Abbey on Reichenau island at Lake Constance, the oldest evidence of St. Methodius’ life exists. He was written down in the Fraternity Book of the monastery. The names of Methodius and his disciples are inserted in Greek Majuscule. Some researchers consider the inscription as an autograph of Methodius itself. Since 2000, the monastery is part of the UNESCO World Heritage List.

The cult of Cyril and Methodius began in Bulgaria after the arrival of their disciples in Pliska and Preslav. Their church feasts were celebrated without interruption, even during the Turkish rule. In 1850 their secular holiday was introduced at the opening of St. Cyril and Methodius School in Plovdiv. It became one of the symbols of the liberation struggles.

An important place of pilgrimage, located near Brno on the edge of the Moravian Karst. According to the legend associated with this place, in this valley they said that they baptized Saints Cyril and Methodius and their students. Probably the name of the town is derived from this. The second legend dates back to 1210, according to which the Virgin Mary Křtinská appeared on the site of Bukovina.

On the hill Hostýn (718 m.n.m.) stands the Basilica of the Assumption of the Virgin Mary, but originally there was a wooden chapel. The appearance of today's church dates from the 18th century. It consists of one elliptical ship, on the west side with two towers. The west facade is decorated with a mosaic depicting the Madonna of Hýn…

Velehrad is one of the most important places of pilgrimage not only in Moravia but also in Central Europe. According to tradition, its origins are associated with Cyril and Methodius. A Cistercian monastery was built here at the beginning of the 13th century. The original Romanesque basilica and the whole monastery complex have not been preserved (or very little)…

The pilgrimage site of Žarošice is connected to the statue of the Virgin Mary, which was donated to the church by Queen Eliška Rejčka (1286-1335). Originally it stood in the pilgrimage church of the Assumption of the Virgin Mary (the second church in the village), currently it is located on the main altar of the church of St. Anna. The church with the place of pilgrimage was under the administration of the old Brno women's…

The revival of the Cyril and Methodius tradition in the Czech-Moravian lands is related to the policy of the Czech King and Holy Roman Emperor Charles IV. Luxembourg and its national doctrine. After his accession to the throne, which intended to elevate the Prague diocese to an archbishopric and separate it together with the Moravian diocese of Olomouc from the archdiocese of Mainz, he began to consistently and purposefully promote the idea of the Slavic roots of his Czech people.

The Baroque church according to the project of K. I. Dientzenhofer and P. I. Bayer was built among 1730 and 1736. The interior of the church of the Orthodox Church has a stucco decoration by M. I. Palliardi and frescoes by K. Schöpof. The memory of paratroopers who found refuge in the crypt after the assassination of Reinhard Heydrich in May 1942 is commemorated by an exhibition on the Heydrichiad in the underground.

The position of Trstín at the entrance to one of the Little Carpathian crossings on the route called The Czech way predestined it for settlement in the early Middle Ages. The village lies in direct contact with the territory of the Smolenice karst, it has excellent access to Záruba - the highest peak of the Little Carpathians (768 m above sea level) and provides opportunities for hiking and biking in the direction of Modra, Piešťany and Záhorie…

On the western side of the Little Carpathians lies the village of Marianka, which is one of the oldest pilgrimage sites in Slovakia. In the valley stood the Pavlín monastery, founded in 1377, where many pilgrimages took place after its establishment. However, even before its construction, numerous pilgrims brought here legends about the statue of the Virgin Mary and the miraculous spring…

Together with the University of Vienna, it manages the inter-university master-program “Library Information Studies (MSc)”. The holdings of the ANL represent a broad historical, geographical, cultural and political context. The research based on those holdings constitutes a significant contribution to Austrian and European intellectual and cultural history.

Regensburg is the place of the imperial trial against Methodius. He was condemned, because of teaching differently, i.e., due to the Slavic language in the liturgy. After 12 centuries one of the slogans of this UNESCO World Heritage city (since 2006) is religious freedom – the theme of the UNESCO world heritage over centuries.

St. George´s Rotunda belongs to the outskirts of the village Nitrianska Blatnica and is about 5 km away. It stands alone on a rocky promontory at the foot of the Marhát hill, surrounded by the forests of Považský Inovec. It is the only surviving standing witness to a long-extinct settlement. The results of ¹⁴C dating determined its origin by the year 830 ± 40 years…

The first abbot of the monastery of Sazava is proclaimed patron saint of Bohemia together with Cyril and Methodius. As a 13th century chronicle, it is said that he was instructed in Slavic script created and canonized by the holiest Bishop Cyril. Procop introduced the Slavic liturgy and the Benedictine rule in his monastery.

Mikulčice belongs to exceptional localities from the period of the early Middle Ages. Political power, cultural and ecclesiastical administration, along with education, were concentrated here. This is evidenced by numerous churches, finds with Christian symbols, a number of lavish products of high artistic level, weapons, equestrian equipment, luxury and imported items…

The Slovak National Library (SNL) is a location for the preservation of Slovak history. The SNL registers, supplements and processes documents of authorial, territorial and linguistic content about Slovakia. With more than five million documents, the SNL Fund currently offers a wide range of study material.

The ancient Sirmium was a city in the Roman province of Pannonia, located on the Sava river, on the site of modern Sremska Mitrovica in northern Serbia. First mentioned in the 4th century BC and originally inhabited by Illyrians and Celts, it was conquered by the Romans in the 1st century BC and subsequently became the capital of the Roman province of Pannonia Inferior.

Probably the most important fortified settlement of the peak period of the Great Moravian Empire was located on the territory of today's Staré Město and Uherské Hradiště. Its total area significantly exceeded 300 ha. The development was purposefully divided according to functions. Here you will find production areas, housing estates, the power and church center…

On the facade right from the astronomical Clock, on the south-east corner (on the second line) the figures of SS Cyril and Methodius are to be seen. The Church of Our Lady before Týn - One of the most impressive Gothic religious buildings in Prague was built from the mid-14th to the early 16th centuries.

In 1974/1975, the old church of Saint Nikolaos of Xirokrini, an area near the railway station in west Thessaloniki, was renamed Saints Cyril and Methodius and celebrates since then the day of their feast.

The construction of a chapel (consecrated in 1633) built on the site of the Premonstratensian abbey Klášterní Hradisko near Olomouc begins a permanent connection between the future pilgrimage site and the Premonstratensian religious community, which has been active there since 1151. until 1149 there were Benedictines from Břevnov. In 1995, the church was upgraded to a "basilica minor".

Trenčín Castle is built on a rocky ridge above the bend of the Váh River (in the past, the riverbed was moved closer to the castle). It is a location that has been used as a strategic place since prehistoric times. In the 9th century there was a hillfort. Archaeological research discovered a rotunda with four inscribed apses in the castle grounds…

The waters of the Danube, which flow into the Black Sea, form the largest and best-preserved of Europe's deltas. The Danube delta is home for over 300 species of birds as well as 45 freshwater fish in its lakes and marshes. The Danube Delta is a World Heritage Site, UNESCO Heritage Site and a UNESCO Biosphere Reserve. It is also protected by the Ramstar convention of the Wetlands.

The influence of St. Cyril and Methodius and St. Clement’s cult can be found in various aspects of the contemporary cultural life in N. Macedonia.The memory of them does not fade away with time, for it is still very present today. Many important institutions in the capital city of Skopje are connected with their cult and celebration.

The history of the pilgrimage site Skalka near Trenčín begins at the beginning of the 11th century, when Benedictines - hermits - St. Andrej - Svorad and Beňadik, through whose work Skalka gradually became a place of pilgrimage. The cave in which these saints lived is the first written mention of the cave in Slovakia. A Benedictine monastery was founded on this site in the 13th century.

Over the last years there is tendency, mainly of the Slav nations, to dedicate monuments of historical memory in the city of Thessaloniki. In the New Promenade of the town there is a large cross, engraved in a circle, decorated with figurative church reliefs on one side and the names of Cyril and Methodius on the other, in Cyrillic letters.

Capriana monastery is founded in the early 15th century, at the end of the 17th century, the monastery was handed over to the Zograf Monastery of Aton. For more than 200 years, Cyrillic liturgical books bearing the messages of the Cyril and Methodius legacy have been used for the liturgy, which was celebrated in Greek, Bulgarian, and Romanian language.

Located on the mountain Kljuc in Bjelasica, in the village Recine, which is around ten kilometers away from Kolasin, this monastery provides a special trip of sustainable tourism. There is a chapel built above the monastery, modeled after Njegos's chapel on Lovcen. The monastery was built in 1999 by a priest who still serves in it.

It is a highly developed tourist destination, famous with its expansive forests and lush meadows, vitiand spa-culture, and plenty of unique and quirky museums. 105,000 hectares of biosphere parks cover 51 municipalities in Lower Austria and seven districts in Vienna. The Vienna Woods is one of the largest self-contained deciduous forest areas in Central Europe and is one of the most species-rich forests in Austria. the site is listed on the UNESCO Biosphere Park – landscape cultural heritage.

The Winery has the biggest wine collection in the world with over 1.5 million bottles per year, recorded in the Guinness Book in 2005. The so-called “Golden Collection” is stored in over 80 meters depth, in gothic-style cases, within the underground galleries of Milestii Mici. The oldest wine in the collection dates back in 1969. Thousands of bottles of fine, white and red, dry and dessert wines are added to the collection every year.

The national cultural monument is located in the southeastern part of the town of Uherské Hradiště on the so-called Height of St. Methodius (Sadská výšina). These are the remains of an important church complex from the period of the Great Moravian Empire. At the turn of the 8th and 9th centuries, Christian missionaries built one of the first brick churches north of the Danube…

The cultural heritage site is an archaeological site as well as a memorial park (Zalavár Historical Memorial Park). It is known that in year 867, the ruler of the Lower Pannonian principality Kotzel welcomed Cyril and Methodius on their way from Great Moravia to the pope in Rome to justify the use of the Slavonic language for Christian liturgy.

Hradec promontory belongs to the northern point of the foothills of the Low Jesenik. Here, in prehistoric times, one of the most important communication arteries from the Mediterranean led to the Baltic coast - the Amber Route. The actual construction development of the area begins with a Slavic fortified settlement, the existence of which is presumed in the 8th century during the Great Moravian Empire...

Until 2012 Moravsky Krumlov Castle has housed the famous Slav Epic, 20 monumental canvas by Alphonse Mucha depicting the history of the Slav people and civilization.