Cyril and Methodius Route – Cultural Route of the Council of Europe

Statue of Radegast

adegast’s home has always been the Radhošt’ mountain in the Moravian-Silesian Beskydy Mountains (1129 m above sea level). According to legend, his idol stood on top of the mountain, which was demolished by the Thessalonian missionaries Constantine and Methodius, who allegedly visited Radhošt’ after their arrival in Great Moravia. Radegast, the Slavic god of crops, harvest, abundance and hospitality, but also of sun and fire, was, according to myth, a great lover of good food and drink. He would often come in disguise among the common people and be entertained. When he was satisfied with the hospitality of the people, he rewarded them generously. After all, this was the name he was given for this quality – one who likes to be entertained.

There is a statue of him on the ridge path along Radhošt’ between the pilgrimage chapel of Saints Cyril and Methodius and the Pustevny Mountains. It was created in 1929 in the USA by the sculptor Albín Polášek, a native of Frenštát pod Radhoštěm. The statue depicts Radegast with a bull’s head, a cornucopia, a duck and Wallachian ravens. The original three-metre high statue was made of artificial stone with granite rubble. However, on Radhošt’ it did not stand up well to the harsh weather. The greatest damage to the statue was caused by lightning that struck it during a storm. An exact copy by the stone sculptor Jan Sobek from Leskovec was installed on Radhošt’.

The natural granite from which he sculpted the seven-tonne statue of Radegast is such a strong material that it will last for several centuries even in extreme mountain conditions without serious damage. The former original adorns the vestibule of the Frenštát Town Hall.

Source: www.kudyznudy.cz