Cyril and Methodius Route – Cultural Route of the Council of Europe

Monastery Hillfort

The monastery was founded in the 11th century as the seat of the Benedictines. The castle has experienced many catastrophic events and has been destroyed several times. Today it has a Baroque appearance and has been the site of a military hospital for over 200 years. In one of its towers there is an exhibition of the history of the monastery.

Chapel of St. John Sarkander

On the site of today's chapel there used to be a town prison, where in 1620 the Catholic priest Jan Sarkander, to whom the chapel is dedicated, was subjected to the law of torture. Sarkander died here as a result of torture. The current appearance of the chapel dates from the beginning of the 20th century, when a radical neo-Baroque reconstruction was carried out. In the chapel's basement there is an original torture scraper and a well built over the "miraculous healing spring" from which Jan Sarkander drank in prison.

Church of St. Michael

The three Baroque domes of St. Michael's Church, the first domed building in Moravia, complete the characteristic panorama of the town. The church was built in the 13th century and after the Swedish occupation of the town in the 17th century it underwent significant reconstruction. The statues on its main facade are among the most valuable works of Olomouc Baroque sculpture. The hermitage is also a special feature of the church - there is an underground lake under the church. The pond serves for quiet contemplation, the spring never runs dry.

Svatý Kopeček - Olomouc

Church of St. Moritz

The Church of St. Moritz is one of the rarest buildings of the late Gothic period in Moravia. In 1412, a 46 m high tower was built, whose original purpose was probably to warn the inhabitants of the town against fires. The tower is equipped with an architecturally interesting double spiral staircase and today it serves as a lookout tower. The annual International Organ Festival (September) is intrinsically linked to the Church of St. Moritz, where you will find an organ that is one of the largest in Central Europe.

Church of Saints Cyril and Methodius

Church of Saints Cyril and Methodius The Church of Saints Cyril and Methodius is located in the Hejčín district of Olomouc. It is a church in the style of neoclassical modernism. The simple exterior of the church contrasts with the rich decoration. The church tower is 65 m high, and a bronze sculpture of Saints Cyril and Methodius is placed on the tower's facade.