Cyril and Methodius Route – Cultural Route of the Council of Europe

Mezivodí - Pustevny

Mountain saddle Pustevny in Beskydy

The Pustevny mountain saddle is one of the most important mountain resorts in the Beskydy Mountains. It is located in the Radhošt’ mountain range between the Radhošt’ and Tanečnice hills. Pustevny is dominated by wooden buildings built in folk style by Dušan Jurkovič. The attractiveness of Pustevny attracted members of the Frenštát association Pohorská jednota Radhošt’, who set themselves the goal of making remote places of the Beskydy Mountains accessible, marking hiking trails and establishing a network of mountain hotels and hostels. In 1891, the first shelter built here was the Pústevňa shelter, and three years later the Šumná shelter was built next to it. Later, as the interest of tourists increased, they decided to increase the accommodation and hospitality capacities. Therefore, they built two more shelters designed by the Slovak architect Dušan Jurkovič in the style of Folk Art Nouveau. Libušín and Maměnka were opened in 1899. On the night of 2 to 3 March 2014, a large fire broke out in the Libušín shelter, destroying mainly the right part of the shelter, which contained the most valuable dining room. The reopening of Pusteven took place on 30 July 2020.

Due to the decline in tourism after the First World War, it was not until the First Republic that further development of Pustevny took place. In 1926, the construction of the modern mountain hotel Tanečnica was completed. Six years later, another mountain hotel was built on the ridge between Pustevny and Radhoštěm – Radegast.

There is also an old Wallachian bell tower and a viewing arbour called Cyrilka – 1893 on the rocks called Podstupně. During World War II, the 2nd Slovak Partisan Brigade of M. R. Štefánik prevented the retreating German soldiers from destroying the buildings on Pustevny. About 300 steps east of the Cyrilka lookout tower is an inaccessible cave of the same name.

The Pustevny area with the above-mentioned buildings is administered by the Wallachian Museum in Rožnov pod Radhoštěm. Another attraction is the above-ground panoramic Wallachian Trail, which is 610 metres long, with the forest section up to the tower being 390 metres long and the rest being a walkway to the 22-metre high cascading tower. It includes a glass viewing platform and a 150-metre-long suspended “Himalayan” walkway.