Cyril and Methodius Route – Cultural Route of the Council of Europe

Kroměříž - Kvasice

Church of the Assumption of the Virgin Mary

The parish church dedicated to the Virgin Mary was built in the 13th century by Bishop Bruno of Schauenburg, Bishop of Olomouc, who was also the founder of the nearby St. Moritz Church in Kroměříž. When Kroměříž was occupied by the Swedes and the Evangelical Wallachians in the summer of 1643, the church was looted and almost destroyed. Only a large part of the tower and the church wall have been preserved from the original medieval building. Then the sanctuary was orphaned for several years, because it could not hold services due to its poor condition. Since 1651, repairs have been carried out at a slow pace, after which the clock that originally hung in the Kromeriz town hall was placed on the 42-metre high tower.

The present-day appearance of the sanctuary dates from the first half of the 18th century. It impresses with its valuable, mostly Baroque interior. Its author is considered to be the prominent architect Ignác Josef Cyrani of Bolleshaus, who also contributed to other magnificent sacral buildings in Moravia (for example, the Basilica of St. Hostýn, the Church of St. John the Baptist in Kroměříž and the Chapel of Our Lady of Sorrows at the Church of St. Moritz, also in Kroměříž). The foundation stone for this reconstruction of the church was personally laid by the Bishop of Olomouc, Cardinal Wolfgang H. Schrattenbach, in 1724. The church was consecrated in May 1736 after the completion of the construction work. The church was repaired several times afterwards. It survived two world wars, but without its three bells, which were taken away and melted down for military purposes. In 1996, this characteristic landmark of the historic centre of Kroměříž received a new facade, in 2001 the church received a new roof, in 2004 the stained glass windows were restored, and in 2006-2008 the balustrade was completely restored. In the baptismal chapel there is an interesting baroque baptismal font and the most important work in this interior is the altar of the Fourteen Holy Helpers, a valuable carving from the period around 1715. The church also contains two side altars by the important Baroque sculptor Ondřej Zahner, whose works include, among others, the Column of the Holy Trinity in Olomouc, a UNESCO listed monument.