Cyril and Methodius Route – Cultural Route of the Council of Europe

Kroměříž - Kvasice

Church of St. John the Baptist

The Baroque Church of St. John the Baptist is one of the most beautiful monuments of the 18th century in Moravia. The Church of St. John the Baptist was built on the site of a Maltese commandery, which is commemorated by the Maltese crosses on the double towers. The original Romanesque church with Gothic elements, founded by the Johanites at the hospital, was handed over to the Piarist order in the 17th century, which came to the town in 1687 and founded a grammar school, a college and a singing seminary. The Piarists added a dormitory to the church and in 1737 began construction of a new church designed by the episcopal architect Cyrani of Bolleshaus. The church was consecrated in 1768. To commemorate this event, 12 bronze crosses are placed around the perimeter of the church.

The design was based on the plan of the Salesian Church in Renngasse, Vienna, and the façade is reminiscent of the designs of the churches in Vienna and Prague. Above the entrance is a sculpture of the Baptism of Christ with adoring angels. The exquisite interior, decorated with rococo elements, is the work of leading Moravian and Austrian artists. Its location and its dimensions (21 m long, 15.8 m wide) make it a landmark in the central part of Kromeriz, which is the entrance to the historic centre.

Source: www.kudyznudy.cz