Cyril and Methodius Route – Cultural Route of the Council of Europe

Wisla - Jablunkov

Church of Corpus Christi

The church was built in 1605, originally in Renaissance style, later rebuilt in Neo-Gothic style. The history of the church is very varied. In the 16th century it was dominated by Lutherans. It was only in 1615 that it became permanently a Catholic church. In 1652 it was rededicated to Corpus Christi. Therefore, in June, on the Feast of Corpus Christi, processions and festive services are held at the church. The church has been hit by fires several times. In 1931, the church was enlarged with a transept with a coffered ceiling and a presbytery designed by Jaroslav Oplt from Brno. In 1886 a new organ was installed in the church.

In 1945, new bells were added to the church. The original ones were confiscated by the German authorities during the war. The post-war bells rang at the church until July 2011. In October 2011, 3 new bells were consecrated. John Paul II, Our Lady of Fatima and St. Hedwig.

One of the symbols of Jablunkov, the church tower, has remained unchanged for centuries.