Cyril and Methodius Route – Cultural Route of the Council of Europe

Vyšní Kamenitý - Bílý Kříž

Chapel of Bílý Kříž

Mrs. Anežka Baronová, the wife of Josef Baron, who built the Baron Hotel in 1932, was very pious and so Baron later built a stone chapel for her above the Baron Hotel – Kysuca on the Slovak side. Pilgrimages and services are still held there on Cyril and Methodius Day. The municipality of Klokočov, where it belongs, wanted to make this chapel famous because the priest Karol Wojtyla used to worship there for about a week in the 1950s when he stayed under the Bílý Kříž (White Cross). He later became Archbishop of Krakow and Pope. There used to be a beautiful view from the chapel, but today the whole area has been changed by mature trees. But the view can be enjoyed a little lower down. The chapel is not actually part of Stary Hamry anymore, but is in the territory of the Slovak Republic. Still, people visit the area as a whole, so it would be a shame not to mention it. The chapel is dedicated to Cyril and Methodius and there is always an outdoor service on 6 July.