Cyril and Methodius Route – Cultural Route of the Council of Europe

Bílý Kříž - Mezivodí

Archbishop’s hunting lodge

The archbishop’s lodge was built in 1906 near the church of St. Frederick on the turn-off by the Velká Smradlavá stream. The shell of the chateau, protected by shingles, still retains its original appearance. It was built in 1906 by the Archbishop of Olomouc as a resting place with the possibility of hunting trips to the surrounding vast forests. Next to the lodge is a horse stable, which was an accessory of this building and still serves its purpose. Several sculptures of horses’ heads can be seen here. Since 2008, a wooden chapel of St. Hubert has been built next to the lodge, which was consecrated by Bishop Lobkowicz on the occasion of the Hubert Mass. Today it serves as an accommodation facility and can be booked through the Bishopric of Ostrava-Opava.